I cannot update websites hosted at Webmasters.com from my RCN cable ISP service. We have been updating these websites from RCN since we started RCN service about six months ago. Other combinations of ISP’s and hosting services work just fine. Any techie detectives like a challenge or have ideas?
Starting at approximately 9 pm Saturday, automated FTP uploads of weather data from one of our PCs to www.ozdachs.com/weather started failing. The IP address for Ozdachs.com is 22.214.171.124, primary DNS is 126.96.36.199, and FTP address is 188.8.131.52.
We discovered this failure by looking at the weather server error logs. The first I knew of a problem was Sunday morning when I attempted to publish a graphic using FrontPage 2003. The publishing hung when the message “Listing files is http://www.ozdachs.com…” was on the screen.
I tested publishing using FrontPage on other sites I host at Webmasters.com: www.faithfulfools.org (IP 184.108.40.206), www.sun-valley-vacation-rental.com (IP 220.127.116.11), and www.ashland-vacation-rental.com (IP 18.104.22.168). All of the publishing attempts hung and failed to complete.
At first I thought the problem was with the hosting service. But, my fault isolation included these findings:
· Using a dial-up account via EarthLink (after disconnecting the cable connection), the FTP and FrontPage publishing works without a problem.
· The FTP/Front Page problem exits on three different computers within our home network. We have not updated any software on two of the computers. The third computer had an updated version of Norton Antivirus installed over the weekend – but there are no other communications problems on this computer and the other two computers have not been touched.
· I have disconnected our D-LINK router and hooked the cable modem directly to one computer. FTP and FrontPage still fail to www.ozdachs.com .
· I disabled Windows firewall while the computer was directly connected to the RCN cable modem. There are no other firewalls on the system. The FTP and FrontPage publishing still failed.
· Read access to www.ozdachs.com and other sites hosted at Webmasters.com do not have problems. Tracert results:
C:\Documents and Settings\Galen>tracert www.ozdachs.com
Tracing route to www.ozdachs.com [22.214.171.124]
over a maximum of 30 hops:
1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms 192.168.0.1
2 6 ms 5 ms 6 ms 10.21.144.1
3 9 ms 6 ms 7 ms vl4.aggr1.sfrn.ca.rcn.net [126.96.36.199]
4 5 ms 7 ms 6 ms ge5-0.border1.sfrn.ca.rcn.net [188.8.131.52]
5 8 ms 8 ms 9 ms webusenet.needs.to.reg.ptr.info.with.paix [198.3
6 89 ms 90 ms 90 ms 184.108.40.206
7 90 ms 88 ms 91 ms sjc-c00-pos-1-27-1.OC48-chi-c00-pos-1-15-1.wvfib
8 89 ms 90 ms 87 ms cin-l3-c00-pos-4-0.OC48-chi-c00-pos-1-7-1.wvfibe
9 90 ms 96 ms 90 ms nsh-l3-c00-pos-2-0.OC48-cin-l3-c00-pos-5-0.wvfib
10 90 ms 88 ms 91 ms atl-c00.pos-1-16-1.OC48-atl-nshl3-pos2.wvfiber.n
11 91 ms 88 ms 88 ms atl-a00.pos-10-0.lan-atl-c00.pos-1-36-1.wvfiber.
12 89 ms 89 ms 90 ms cpp-hostway.wvfiber.net [220.127.116.11]
13 101 ms 101 ms 100 ms g11-0.co1.tpax.hostway.net [18.104.22.168]
14 104 ms 101 ms 102 ms 22.214.171.124
- FTP updates seem to hang on a second block. So, a small or incomplete file may make it to www.ozdachs.com . See http://www.ozdachs.com/weather/screenID001.jpg . The image on the website is one which has been automatically sent from our weather server to the Internet for several years. The current version is incomplete.
When I tried to manually send a file (index.htm) towww.ozdachs.com/weather yesterday, the FTP transfer hung at 62% complete. The FTP log is below:
227 Entering Passive Mode (207,142,128,62,195,149).
connecting data channel to 126.96.36.199:195,149(50069)
data channel connected to 188.8.131.52:195,149(50069)
150 Opening ASCII mode data connection for index.htm
Error reading response from server.
transferred 16384 bytes in 65.531 seconds, 1.953 Kbps ( 250.018 Bps), transfer cancelled.
I also had a problem re-connecting my FTP session to Ozdachs.com FTP log:
Finding Host ozdachs.com …
Connecting to 184.108.40.206:21
Connected to 220.127.116.11:21 in 0.109375 seconds, Waiting for Server Response
Failed to receive response after connect
Host type (1): Automatic detect
The only thing I see is that somehow the exchange of information from RCN to Webmasters.com is failing. Other combinations of ISP and hosting service work.
I will be happy to have the truth revealed to me!